About the A2 license

What is the A2 motorcycle license?

For 19-year-olds, the A2 motorcycle license is the quickest and most effective way of progressing onto an unrestricted license.

The A2 licence is like an intermediate motorcycle licence. Only people aged 24 or over can get their full A category bike licence. Therefore, if you’re aged 19 to 24 you will first have to obtain your A2 motorbike license.

The A2 offers essentially the same benefits as the full category A motorbike license, but with one exception: it limits the rider to bikes with a power output of no more than 35 kW (approx. 46.6 bhp).

To take the necessary tests associated with getting the A2 license, you will need:

  • to be over 19 years of age
  • have a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) OR have held your A1 license for at least 2 years
  • have a PASS theory and hazard perception test certificate

It’s worth noting, that once you obtain your A2 license, you will be able to get your full category A motorbike license when:

  • you turn 24; or
  • have held your A2 license for 2 years or more

Therefore, if you complete your A2 license when you turn 19, you could have the full motorcycle license when you’re 21. Meaning, you won’t have to wait until you turn 24.

Ready to start training? See our directory of UK motorbike schools and instructors.

What bikes can I ride on an A2 license?

There are a variety of bikes you can ride on an A2 license. Thankfully, manufacturers have been great at making A2 bikes that fit within the requirements outlined below.

Fora bike to be A2 friendly, it will need to:

  • produce a power output that is 35 kW (approx. 46.6 bhp) or lower
  • have a power-to-weight ratio of 0.2 kW per kg (268 bhp per tonne) or lower

You can also ride bikes that fall outside of this category, as long as you fit a restrictor that lowers the power output by 50% or less.

Therefore, you could ride bikes that produce under 70 kW or 93 bhp of power, as long as you fit a restrictor that limits this power by 50%.

Browse our extensive database of A2 bikes, where you’ll see which bikes you can ride on your A2 license, which bikes need to be restricted and their specs. Optionally, jump straight to:

You can also visit our homepage to see the latest A2 bikes or use the “Motorbike Type” drop-down in our menu to find the right category of bike for you.

Below are some videos of the CBT, A2: Module 1 and A2: Module 2 tests that need to be taken as part of the A2 license, as well as the “show me, tell me” questions.


This is the first thing you need to do! You can book this with a motorbike training school near you.

Module 1

Module 2

Show me, tell me questions

You can also find the show me tell me questions on the Government website: ‘Show me, tell me’ questions: motorcycle riding test.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact any of the motorcycle schools near you.